Building Your Dream Support Team
When we venture out towards a new goal it is helpful to have a support team. This team, be it a special individual or your entire Facebook friends list, could be the key to your success. Let’s explore how to build your dream team!
*A Quick Note to the Lone Wolf*
Alright tough guy/gal. I get it. You don’t play well with others and work best when trudging forward alone. This doesn’t mean you still couldn’t be more awesome with someone to support you. Be picky but pick someone.
Who to Choose for Your Team
When I’m building a team, I surround myself with those who will help me accomplish my goal. I make sure my team has…
- The cheerleader – You can’t do wrong in this person’s eyes. They’ve had your back forever and are thrilled to help you in anyway. Their enthusiasm may be a little over the top sometimes but when things get tough they’re like a ray of sunshine. Who is this person in your life?
- The truth-teller – Oh man, we love to dislike this person. Fearless and unfiltered, this person will set you straight no matter what, and, though it may sting, it’s exactly what you need to hear. Who is this person for you?
- The expert – You need info and this person has both the knowledge and experience you need to succeed. They will save you time and give you confidence you are doing the right things to get the results you want. Do you know someone who has the information you need? Good news: if you don’t have this person you can probably hire one!
- The partner – This person is with you on the journey! You’re doing this together and are stronger because the other is there. You don’t need to have a partner but there’s nothing better than a good one. This person can also be your cheerleader and/or truth-teller! Do you have a partner?
Equip Your Team!
Your team is set! Each player is honored to be involved and eager to help…but, they might not know how you want help. So, tell them how they can best help you! Be specific. For example…
“Thank you for agreeing to help me. The best way you can help me is by_________________.”
And then fill in the blank.
- Asking me how my nutrition is going.
- Forcing me to go to my workout even when I push back against you.
- Helping me prepare meals
- Knocking the donut out of my hand if I pick one up.
- Watching the kids while I go for a run.
- Telling me I look great even if I really don’t.
Now you’re all set! Well, one more thing…
*Critical Notes for Spouses*
You know how you and your spouse work together. It’s a unique arrangement and each is different. Please consider these notes before moving forward.
If you choose a spouse to be on your team…
- Make sure they agree to participate.
- Don’t be mad if they don’t for the right reasons.
- Don’t destroy them when they help EXACTLY HOW YOU ASKED THEM TO!!!
- We clear about this?
I know every success I’ve experienced has been a team effort. There is nothing like having support when things are tough and friends to celebrate with at the finish line. Build a team, hang on tight to them when things get tough, and enjoy fellowship as it was meant to be.